Friday, January 23, 2015

An Engaged God

As Joseph and Sidney saw the Lord, why did they end this verse with an “!”?
22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
Doctrine & Covenants 76:22

Of all things Joseph and Sidney could have expressed after seeing the Lord, why did they want to say, “He lives!”?  Did Joseph just want to point out to all the atheists that they were wrong? Was Joseph not 100% sure prior to this?  Perhaps it is the tense of the verb that Joseph is trying to get across. We have an active and engaged God that we worship.

In the hymn “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” it repeats the phrase “He lives” over and over again, but then says what He lives to do.

He lives to...     bless me with his love.
                        plead for me above.
                        my hungry soul to feed.
                        bless in time of need.
He lives to...     grant me rich supply.
                        guide me with his eye.
                        comfort me when faint.
                        hear my soul’s complaint.
He lives to...     silence all my fears.
                        wipe away my tears.
                        calm my troubled heart.
                        all blessings to impart.

I had always been taught, what Jesus did for us: He lived a perfect example, completed the atonement so we could repent.  And I had been taught what He will do for us: He will come again, save us, resurrect us, be our judge, and give us a wonderful kingdom of glory. But I had never really considered what this song was saying.  I had never considered all that the Lord does for us.  I understood the Savior in the past tense, and the future tense, but never really considered the Lord in the present tense; a Lord who is trying just as hard to save us today, as he did 2,000 years ago in Gethsemane and on the Cross. 


Today’s Takeaway: In that hymn, look at all the Savior seeks to do for you every day.  Thank the Lord and seek to receive those things.  Try to make the Lord an active part of your life each day. 

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought of "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" in that way either and it's so beautiful to think about it that way. He's actively involved with out lives... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a life changing realization for me too. Thanks so much for your comment

    ReplyDelete