Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Rise Again

Look for what made Oliver Granger a great man.
12 And again, I say unto you, I remember my servant Oliver Granger; behold, verily I say unto him that his name shall be had in sacred remembrance from generation to generation, forever and ever, saith the Lord.
 13 Therefore, let him contend earnestly for the redemption of the First Presidency of my Church, saith the Lord; and when he falls he shall rise again, for his sacrifice shall be more sacred unto me than his increase, saith the Lord.
Doctrine & Covenants 117:12-13

There are a few things that would make Oliver Granger a great man.  One is that he supported and sustained the First Presidency. But the part I wanted to focus on is that “when he falls he shall rise again, for his sacrifice is more sacred unto me than his increase”.  A great person isn’t someone that never falls down. They are great because when they fall down, they get back up to try again. I love this great quote from Nelson Mandela, “I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying.” Failing and falling down are just part of life in this world. God knows that.  But with the person who keeps on trying, God can make them into incredible instruments in His hands. To the Lord, the sacrifice we make each day to do His will (and keep trying) is more important than the level or measurement of success.


Today’s Recharge: Are you down right now?  Have you given up in some important area of your life?  Pray and then get up and try again. Albert Einstein is quoted as having said, “You never fail until you stop trying.”

No comments:

Post a Comment