Friday, February 27, 2015

Parenting More Like God

Look for how the Lord shows His love.
 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you whom I love, and whom I love I also chasten that their sins may be forgiven, for with the chastisement I prepare a way for their deliverance in all things out of temptation, and I have loved you—
Doctrine & Covenants 95:1

What would you say to the youth who says, “If my parents loved me, they wouldn’t get on my case so much”? Are they right or wrong? Can parenting be all hugs, high-fives, and positive reinforcements?  Well it appears that the perfect parent, our Heavenly Father, believes that if you really love your children, you will have to “chasten” and get after them sometimes. Children need to have boundaries. Jeffry R. Holland taught that, “Second only to your love, they need your limits.” Notice that the word “love” is used three times in the verse; the last time almost as a reminder, just in case they forgot.


Today’s Takeaway: As a parent, don’t feel bad if you sometimes have to correct and chasten your children. But as the Lord shows, start and end that correction with love. Almost no one takes correction easily, but it helps if we can show our children “a way for their deliverance” when they are corrected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment